Sunday, July 1, 2007

Finally ..It Rained BIG

Today after church, we planned to go to Point Duck to watch the finals of the Timbersports. We watched the quarter finals yesterday and had a hoot. We met up with my mom, step-niece, and her daughter (What would that be….step great niece or something?) to go to eat prior to going to the Duck.

I was driving my mother’s van with mom and SGN in tow and Sharon was driving my car accompanied by my step niece. We only got a mile or so from the restaurant when the rain started coming down in sheets. I am not about to complain about any rain because we need lots of it. It was accompanied by a very strong wind and some impressive lightening.

All of a sudden, a very tall, very dead pine tree broke, falling toward the highway. On the way down, it caught two high powered utility lines. It pushed the top line into the one below causing a most impressive arc with accompanying flash…bang…and smoke. I think that the arc blew a hole in the ground when it hit. My 16 year old SGN was startled but otherwise impressed with my ability to avoid said tree and following explosion. Sharon handled not running into the back of mom’s van with ease and expertise.

We went about 5 more miles before the rain was so blinding that I thought it best to pull off the road and wait before driving down tree lined streets to the Duck. The road turned into a creek so we nixed the former plan and started home.

Power was out all over town so the traffic lights were not functioning. We went through the intersection of two major highways with no traffic control just minutes after an officer arrived to direct traffic. It is too large an intersection for only one officer but that is all they had…one very wet unhappy female officer. I DO NOT MISS THOSE DAYS!

4 comments:

MJ said...

You've been tagged m'dear ;)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I cant figure it out. What's SGN? lol

Glad to hear rain's made it your way and you're nowhere near stuck manning the roads.

Ms. A said...

Monster... step grand niece.. lol me too!

Anonymous said...

lol. Yeah, just saw it. How'd the heck did I miss the entire first paragraph?? Shameful reading skillz. My bad.