Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Paying It Foward Before The Movie Was Made

In the early 70’s, our country went through a recession. My dad was one of the casualties. He lost his job and was unemployed for three years. My mom taught in a private school so money went from tight to non-existent. I can remember many times that my parents had a difficult time scraping $125 together to pay the mortgage on our house. We grew most of what we ate and felt very lucky when there was meat on the table. I guess that I was about 12 when he lost his job. The mantra that was most often heard around my house was, “We can’t afford it.”

I was in Girl Scouts and my troop leader decided that a trip to Savannah, GA to see Juliet Gordon Lowe’s home would be a great trip for the troop. I lived in Birmingham so it would be quite a drive. We sold cookies to defray some of the cost but still had to come up with money for the hotel room, gas, and food. When the time came to commit to the trip, I never even asked my parents. I just told the leader that we could not afford for me to go.

A few days before they were to leave, the leader came by the house to talk to my mom about the trip.

Leader: “A person has anonymously paid for ‘A’ to go to Savannah with us."

Mom: “What trip?”

The leader explained about the troop going to GA and the cost involved. They both turned and looked at me with the most puzzled expression.

Mom: “Why didn’t you tell me about this trip? Don’t you want to go?”

Me: “I would love to go but I know that we can’t afford it so I didn’t ask.”

Leader: “We want ‘A’ to go and we have a person willing to pay for her part of the trip if you will let her go.”

Mom: “I don’t know how we would pay them back.”

Leader: “’A’ would be the one paying it back

Me: “I’m not old enough to have a job. How can I pay them back?”

Leader: “You are not to pay this donor back. The only obligation attached to the money is that when you are older and have the means, you help someone else that can’t afford something important to them.”

I went on the trip and even though I was young, I have never forgotten that obligation. I have more than spent the small amount that was given to me on others. Each time that I help someone, I attach a note with the same obligation. “When you get older and can afford it, help someone else in need.”
I have tried numerous times over the last 30 some-odd years to find out who paid for my trip. My leader continues to refuse to tell me who it was. I just want to say thank you and let them know what a profound impact that obligation has had on my life. I guess that they knew that I would fulfill their terms. I hope that they have not been disappointed.

7 comments:

Bammy said...

Thats a cool story.. dont tell anyone but it made me leak from my eyes.. JUST A LITTLE though!!!
and CONGRATS on the letter.. maybe I should send YOU my term papers first..lol..

Ms. A said...

Bammy ...it has taken a couple of weeks for me to want to even blog after I finished my thesis so I'll pass on the term paper stuff. Thanks anyway...and I won't tell.

Cedar said...

I love you, I hope you know that.

SassyFemme said...

That is THE BEST story!

Ms. A said...

Cedar...thanks, I love you too!

Sassy...thank you. I appreciate the comments that you leave.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, awesome story... that is a cool thing to start rolling, I think I WILL go do that. Wish I had memorable stories like that from my childhood. When I look back at mine, what stands out for me is this woman who died choking on sardines... *shakes head* I don't know why, bizarre...

-monster
(bloghopping via blogrolls)

Ms. A said...

Thanks for stopping by! The choking story should be told...it is just to bizarre to keep to yourself.