Thursday, March 1, 2007

10 Odd Habits I Kept from Police Work

1. I will not sit with my back to the door of a restaurant unless I am eating with other officers. Then, I verbally tell them that they have my back.

2. I am overly cautious about anything with an account number on it. I shred it all and till it in my garden.

3. I have dead bolts in all my doors and the doors with glass can’t have a thumb lock. They must lock with a key only.

4. I don't put my seatbelt on when backing out of a parking space until after I put my car in drive.

5. I watch people’s hands. Hands can hurt you.

6. I look at tags on passing cars to see if they are expired and silently read the letters military style, alpha, baker, charlie, delta, etc.

7. I will not put anything in the trunk of a car unless I am leaving when in the view of the public.

8. I have a bad habit of driving in the left lane.

9. I rarely go the same route twice, it’s all about efficient movement based on traffic patterns.

10. I will not put any mail with checks or account numbers in our mailbox on the street. I take them to the post office and personally hand them to a postal worker.

7 comments:

Syd said...

Explain the seatbelt thing, will ya?

Ms. A said...

Sure thing Syd....When you are leaving a call, the last thing you want is to be trapped in your car. You want to be able to get back out fast in case the problem flairs back up. Once you're driving away, buckel up.

DB said...

I thought the seatbelt thing was odd the first time I saw it too, but it makes perfect sense when you put it in context. She also takes her seatbelt off before the car comes to a stop. Similar reasoning. I guess old habits die hard.

The one that gets me is the thing with the dead bolts. We've had endless 'discussions' about fire safety and how they effect our ability to exit the house in case of emergency.

Also, I've always been of the opinion that if the bad guys want in bad enough, they'll bust the glass out of the door and climb through. Thus, the front door has a thumb lock and a full glass panel.

Ms. A said...

OK..I have to let her win one every now and then.

wcrawford said...

I Love you blog! Highly entertaining.

Ms. A said...

Why thank you wcrawford! Thanks for stopping in.

Rookiewriter said...

Ms. A, I'm writing a book about a cop, and one of the things I'm trying to do-is come up with some bad habits for him. But, I'm not very good at odd behavior, because the only weird things about me is: I like ketchup on my scrambled eggs, and I can't sit anywhere with my back facing the door. Oh, and I tense up when the male gender is in my personal space. Could you offer me some advice on some odd habits a cop might have?