Monday, February 5, 2007

The Ritual

One of the things that I missed most when I left police work was the ritual. When you perform the ritual depended on what shift you worked. On day shift, most of it was done the night before. On second shift, you did it prior to going to work. On third shift, it was done upon awakening. It represented a cleansing and a readiness, a mind set to me.

I would get my boots, Rocky 911's, and wash the soles in the bathroom sink. After cleaning the sink, I would get out the accoutrements of shoe polish and spit shine them the army way with an old pair of nylons. Since I don't wear nylons, I would get them from my more frilly friends. It’s kind of like asking for someone's old worn panties...icky on the surface but with the best of intentions in mind.

Next, I would get my cap and polish the brim with Wind*x and use a lint roller on the cloth part. I would polish the badge and metal band with metal cleaner.

A new uniform shirt would be removed from the cleaner's plastic and hung on a hook. I would carefully attach my badge, name plate, and state seal above the pockets. I would put my notebook and wallet in my breast pockets and close the velcr* tabs. In case you don't know, the buttons on my uniform were just for show. Velcr* held the pockets closed and a zipper concealed behind the buttons closed the shirt. I would then place two pens in the cut of the pocket.

Turning my attention to my leather gear, I would remove my gun, clips, keepers, asp, and handcuffs. Each would be wiped down with an oiled cloth to remove any lint. I would wipe down the leather and lightly polish it with the polish that was on the stockings.

At least once a week, I would clean my leather with saddle soap and break down my gun for a deep cleaning with Break Free, the best cleaning and gun lubricant. At the end of each shift, I would put my radio and flashlight in their chargers. If my handcuffs got any blood on them, I would have to wash them in a dilution of Clorox and water. Then, after drying them, oil them with Break Free.

After my shower, I would put on the normal undergarments. I would put on a white v-neck t-shirt and my uniform pants, running my under-belt through the belt loops with the velcr* side out. I would put on my boots, lacing them like a paratrooper would. The bulletproof vest was next; I never went to work in uniform without it. Following the vest, would be the uniform shirt, tucking it in and adjusting the belt.

I would strap on my leather gear and hold it in place with my leather keepers. Handcuffs, asp, clips, and gun would be returned to their holders and strapped down. Lastly, I would grab my radio and flashlight from their chargers, put on my hat and enter the world as Sergeant A, leaving Ms. A behind.

All people go through stages of alertness depending on their circumstances. Green is for calm which is the place that most people spend the majority of their lives. Then, there is orange, a sense of heightened alertness where a problem is anticipated but not yet seen. Finally, red for that complete alert where the adrenaline is pumping and the fight or flight syndrome is in full swing.

As I went through the ritual, I entered the orange zone if I wasn’t already there. My muscles tightened, my hearing and sight sharpened, all my senses became hyper sensitive. All of this just to walk out of my door. It cleared my mind and prepared me for the day, not to mention that I didn’t have to worry about what to wear!

No comments: