Friday, February 16, 2007

Where is the Math Lab?

Yesterday morning, I had several students come to school early for make up tests, tutoring, and to finish a computer exercise. I unlocked the lab and went back to my classroom to help the other students. The bell rang for students to report to 1st period. Just as the tardy bell rang, I walked down the hall to the math lab. I looked inside, shut off the lights, and locked the door. I went back to my room and began class.

About 20 minutes into class, the school secretary came to my room. Except for lunch, I have never seen her out of the main office. She asked me if there was some type of lab in the math hall. Seems as though someone had picked up one of the emergency phones and told her that he was locked in a lab. I went off and left a group that shouldn't be left unsupervised; walked down the hall to the lab. I unlocked the door, opened it, and one of my seniors was standing there!

I just started laughing. He said that the dead bold lock was broken and he could not get out. The secretary started laughing, a very unusual sight! He said that he just did not know what to do. He was about to climb out the window when he spotted the emergency phone and decided to try it first. The office thought it was a student prank so he had to call back. That is when they came looking for me.

The student was a good 25 minutes late to his first period so I told him to come to my room so that I could give him a pass.

"Please excuse [his name] this morning for being tardy. He was unable to arrive promply due to the fact that I locked him in the math lab prior to school."

He took the note to his first period teacher who laughed uncontrollably! He shared it with his first period, some of whom are in my second period. They came into my class, laughing, asking me if I had really locked someone in the math lab. I guess that will make the faculty end of year luncheon roast!

3 comments:

Syd said...

Very cute. When I first glanced at the title, I read Meth lab. I guess that would be a different story altogether.

SassyFemme said...

I'm sure you're now day dreaming about which kids or coworkers you'd really like to lock in the math lab!

Ms. A said...

Syd, LOL, yes it would! I don't have but one meth story. It wasn't much of a known problem in our area until after I left.

Sassy, Now that you mention it....hummm